Electrical Safety Advice
At Bluewater Power, we know how dangerous electricity can be – that’s why we want to make sure that you and your family are as safe as possible at all times.

Below you’ll find a list of general bits of safety advice – from what to do with a downed wire to help somebody who has received an electrical shock – to keep you safe. But remember, if you’re ever in trouble or unsure of something, don’t hesitate to call us for advice.

The Bluewater Power Guide to Staying Safe around Electricity

Never touch a downed wire
Even if the wire do not appear to be energized, touching it could be fatal.

If your car hits a hydro pole and dislodges wires, stay inside the car until a Bluewater Power crew arrives and removes the wire. Leaving the car while the wire is dislodged could result in serious injury or death.

If you must get out because of fire, jump free with both feet together and without touching the car and the ground at the same time – this is the best chance you have of not getting an electric shock.

Once away from the car, shuffle away using small steps. Do not return to the car for any reason and warn others to stay away.

Stay clear of power lines
Watch out for wires at all times, especially if you’re sailing or launching your boat. A mast or antenna touching the lines could be fatal.

Enjoy sports like parachuting, hang gliding, sky diving or kite flying in an open field, well away from power lines.

Don’t use electrical appliances near water
Electric radios, barbeques, televisions, clocks and other appliances should be kept well away from bathtubs and swimming pools.

On top of that, swimming pools should never be near power lines. A long-handled skimmer could be fatal if it touches outdoor lighting or power lines.

By law, all outdoor electrical outlets should be supplied from circuits equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters for extra protection. This is especially important in damp locations where electrical shocks are usually more severe and a normal fuse or circuit breaker doesn’t provide enough protection.

Never use water on an electrical fire
Never use water on electrical equipment or wires. Unplug the equipment if possible and use baking soda or a recommended dry chemical fire extinguisher.

How to Handle Electrical Emergencies

If someone inside a building receives a shock from a faulty appliance and is still in contact with it, do not touch the person or the appliance before unplugging it from the wall socket.

If a person or vehicle touches an outdoor wire, don’t touch either the person or vehicle. Call 911 or Bluewater Power at 519-337-8201 to get help or the power shut off.

Once the victim is free from the power line or faulty appliance, begin first aid. If unconscious, and either not breathing or breathing erratically, use artificial respiration immediately – in this situation, every second counts. Have someone call 911 for an ambulance. Don’t leave the victim unattended.

If the victim is in shock, reassure them and keep them warm, but don’t apply heat. Loosen clothing about the neck, chest and waist.

If burned, avoid handling the affected area. Do not apply lotions, break blisters or remove burned clothing. If possible, cover the burns including clothing with a prepared dry sterile dressing. Where the skin is blistering, bandage loosely, otherwise apply bandages firmly. Don’t use gauze, cotton, wool or other material that is likely to stick.

Place an unconscious person gently on one side (the St. John Ambulance recovery position) and don’t attempt to give them anything to eat or drink.

But most importantly, in an emergency, remember to remain calm and dial 911 for help.

Teach Your Children About These Dangers

Provided it is used properly, electricity is safe to be around. That’s why it’s important to teach children the dangers of electricity, and how to play safely.

Remind children and teenagers to avoid areas marked “Keep Out” or “Danger” and never to poke or push things into electrical outlets.

Warn children of the danger of touching power lines. If kites or model airplanes touch overhead lines, even touching their string or control line may cause serious injury.

Remind children that climbing hydro poles, towers, or fences surrounding electrical equipment or climbing trees near power lines is extremely dangerous. They could fall or touch a wire, which can result in serious injury or death.

For more safety advice to keep kids safe around electricity, see our handy safety tips for children.