Are you an owner of a large industrial, commercial or multi-residential property that is 50,000 square feet or larger? You may need to request and report your property’s yearly electricity consumption data as part of the Ministry of Energy’s (MOE) new regulation: Ontario Regulation 20/17.

Ontario Regulation 20/17, known as Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) for Large Buildings, requires large building owners to report their annual electricity consumption every year.

With this new regulation, local distribution companies, including Bluewater Power, are required to make yearly aggregated electricity data available to property owners so that they can report their data to the MOE by July 1 of each year.

The reporting requirements are being phased in over three years.

Please note: Only owners of industrial and commercial buildings 250,000 square feet and larger are required to report by July 1, 2018 as part of the first phase. For a complete list of reporting deadlines for all building sizes and types impacted by EWRB, please see our FAQ page.

We created a process so that owners or their designated representatives can easily place a request for their yearly electricity consumption data.


Please note: Property owners or their third party representatives should consult O. Reg. 20/17 and the MOE to determine their obligations. Owners should carefully review this regulation to determine if they are required to report.


Step 1: Download and complete the request form

Download and fill out the Energy and Water Reporting form. Please make sure you have your EWRB ID number ready. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the request form, please contact us.


Step 2: Submit the request form

Once you’ve completed the form, submit it to Please quote “EWRB for Large Buildings Request Form” in the subject line of the email.

To ensure you can provide the required data before the July 1 deadline, the MOE recommends that you submit your request by February 28 every year. It’s important you allow sufficient time for the request to be processed as the form may require follow up if there’s missing information.

Please note: Designated third party representatives may complete the form and request consumption data on behalf of property owners. To facilitate this, the property owner must complete and sign the authorization section under part A on the Request Form as this authorizes us to release consumption information to the requestor. Note that we can’t process a request from a third party without this section completed and signed.


Step 3: Complete validation and receive data

If we require further validation, a customer service representative will contact you to request the necessary information to complete the process. A customer service representative may ask that you resubmit the request form with the correct information or provide proof of ownership of the service address in question (e.g. purchase and sale agreement, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation assessment, tax bill or owner deed).

Once we’ve received the request form and validate you as the owner or the designated third party representative, we’ll process your request and send you the yearly aggregated electricity consumption data for your property as quickly as possible.